Dr. Suess Chair "How To"


Since my post about my new "Dr. Suess" chair, I have had many inquiries on how we re-covered it. I'm sure this is not the proper way but, it's what worked for us. It was so easy that we can't wait to do it again. Maybe one for the master bedroom.



I scored this chair at a local thrift store for $30.  Here's how it looked when I brought it home...



The first thing we did was pull off the existing fabric.  Along the way, we took digital photos so that we would remember which piece went where.



We left all the batting in tact since it was still in great condition.



Each piece was used as a pattern to cut the new fabric. I found this fun zebra print at my favorite fabric store for $10/yd. This project took 5 yards.



Using a staple gun, we applied the new pieces in the opposite order that they were removed.


The last piece was the trickiest. It was the front of the arms. They were applied using a "u" shaped upholstery needle and thread (so the staples wouldn't show) The seat cushion was removed and recovered (this was the only sewing involved).

This was the first time I attempted a DIY upholstering job.  It turned out to be a pretty simple project. The total cost was $80. Thanks, Mom.

This project is linked up to:

Family Command Center


{To read my response to the controversy that erupted over this project, please {click here}.}

Now that I am back to work, things are a lot different in our house. In an effort to stay somewhat organized, I have taken some unused space in our hallway and turned it into a command center.







Each child has a tote bag with their clothes for the day, lunch money and special notes from Mom. The chalk board reminds them of their daily responsibilities.






I added iron hooks to the existing shelf. ($3 each)







I printed the childrens names from my computer onto iron on transfer paper to make the personalized totes. ($2 each tote)







The photos can be changed out with each season. I stuck green hydrangeas in these cute urns for a little pop of color.  The chalkboard was made out of MDF and chalk board paint. ($6 for the sheet of MDF and $8 for a can of chalk board paint)

Maybe our mornings will be a little less hectic. If not, at least my hall looks cuter.
Please click Here for information on my Affordable On-Line Design Consultation Service.
Thanks for visiting!

Seasonal Depression=Decorating Therapy








Remember my post the other day about my "longing for summer"? Well, another Michigan snowstorm almost put me over the edge. I decided to take matters into my own hands and add a little spring inside with some simple but fresh accessories. Nothing livens up a space like fresh fruit, vibrant red tulips and a gigantic fern. I took a sample of my kids' colorful artwork and placed it among our black and white display.

Now it feels a little like spring inside even though this is the view of our backyard...

...and this is who greeted us from across the street this morning!


Longing for summer...

My House




My New Landscape Inspiration



Today is a gray Michigan winter day so I am dreaming about summer. I took these inspiration photos on our trip to Niagara Falls, Canada. It was the most beautiful landscaping I've ever seen. I am using these photos as inspiration for plantings this year. As you can see, my landscape is in desperate need of color.

I can hardly wait to get started. If anyone has any experience with any of these varieties, please share!

Repurposed Furniture


This floating desk hangs in my daughters room. Her vintage four poster bed from our previous home didn't fit well into this space. It had a lot of sentimental value to both of us as it was a gift from her Grandparents. We couldn't get rid of it so we re-purposed it into this desk.

First, the four posts were removed (and saved for another project). Then, we took the headboard and the foot board and screwed them together on a 90 degree angle. Then came little caulk in the seam, a little putty over the nail holes, and a coat of white paint. I picked up two large white brackets from Home Depot and mounted the desk into the studs.

Her room is tight on space so a floating desk was a great design solution.

Bathroom Update for less than $30







Before


My kids came to me one day and confessed that they were embarassed of their bathroom. I guess when you are 10, 6, and 3 you are waaayyy to old for little ducks. I had to agree that I was tired of the generic theme as well. It didn't take much convincing for me to change things up in there.

I am still working on the vanity. I am doing something special with it and will post pics soon. I was able to complete this mini-makeover for the cost of a new shower curtain ($6) and towels ($20). I used leftover paint from other rooms in my home and created my own custom artwork out of lumber scraps, leftover paint and glitter (the advice is priceless).

Thanks for visiting!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share It

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS