Since my post about my new "Dr. Suess" chair, I have had many inquiries on how we re-covered it. I'm sure this is not the proper way but, it's what worked for us. It was so easy that we can't wait to do it again. Maybe one for the master bedroom.
I scored this chair at a local thrift store for $30. Here's how it looked when I brought it home...
The first thing we did was pull off the existing fabric. Along the way, we took digital photos so that we would remember which piece went where.
We left all the batting in tact since it was still in great condition.
Each piece was used as a pattern to cut the new fabric. I found this fun zebra print at my favorite fabric store for $10/yd. This project took 5 yards.
Using a staple gun, we applied the new pieces in the opposite order that they were removed.
The last piece was the trickiest. It was the front of the arms. They were applied using a "u" shaped upholstery needle and thread (so the staples wouldn't show) The seat cushion was removed and recovered (this was the only sewing involved).
This was the first time I attempted a DIY upholstering job. It turned out to be a pretty simple project. The total cost was $80. Thanks, Mom.
This project is linked up to: